Cogeco IPTV – Cogeco | DSLReports Forums (Page 6)

to Inhocmark

Re: Cogeco IPTV

Even with discounts (a whopping $20) it was $40 a month more than my gigabit + tivo pick 40 + home phone.

There is nothing that it could offer that would be worth $40 a month. When it’s less work and cost for them to run.

· actions · 2020-Oct-9 1:08 pm · What section of town are you in that has gigabit available? I’m near Lake and Lakeshore and it’s only 120/10, here.

Actually, I just looked in MyAccount and choosing ‘upgrade’ seems to offer me gigabit as an option.

Then again, if I go to the regular Cogeco page, it indicates 360 and gigabit are not available at my address.

Sigh.

· actions · 2020-Oct-9 1:59 pm · Denis Morris area. But my old piece of shit apartment at Scott and vine has gigabit too and bell ftth so there was no reason to get cogeco then.

Do the chat since the website said I couldn’t get gigabit either. But been rock solid minus 2 or 3 days for the last year.

· actions · 2020-Oct-9 2:32 pm ·

Good idea. Thank you!

· actions · 2020-Oct-9 3:16 pm · to Artwebb1986
said by Artwebb1986:

They are still only going to have the 2 4k channels tsn periodically and sportsnet going by the chat guy yesterday.

There’s a music video channel on 1202 as well. The music is usually shit, but it’s a 4K channel. · actions · 2020-Oct-10 9:01 am · to Inhocmark
This is good info, thanks.

One question: if you’re recording a show, can you start watching it (from the beginning) before it finishes recording, and use FFWD to skip ads, etc? For us, not being able to do this would be a showstopper. Thanks.

· actions · 2020-Oct-10 10:29 am · to Inhocmark
Would I be correct that whatever channels that were SD only (WNYO Buffalo, DTour, CDN Timeshifting, GSN and numerous others) are still in SD?

It’s 2020 and Cogeco is now the worst for HD in Canada. They really don’t care either.

Thank you for your review though, it’s nice to know the box is fast.

· actions · 2020-Oct-10 3:59 pm · to pmosher

Yep it does that. Just tested it.

· actions · 2020-Oct-10 8:10 pm ·

Are you doing the self install or is a tech visit required?

· actions · 2020-Oct-10 8:28 pm · Zosma
join:2010-08-08
Burlington to denben73
“They really don’t care either.”

I believe you are right. I’m cheering for Rogers all the way.

· actions · 2020-Oct-11 11:23 am · to denben73

Self install. they sent 3 separate packages that all arrived at different times but it was a snap to do. The only reason I upgraded the internet package was because they didn’t insist on the tech coming for a visit and charging me for it.

· actions · 2020-Oct-11 7:47 pm · Inhocmark to denben73

Not sure about the GSN or Dtour but it seems a lot of the Buffalo channels are still SD (I ignored SD on my TiVo so I missed them. I have 2 or 3 HD CTV Channels but only the 1 CBC).

· actions · 2020-Oct-11 7:47 pm · to Inhocmark
said by Inhocmark:

How long did it take for the packages to arrive after you placed the order with them? · actions · 2020-Oct-11 8:04 pm ·

I spoke to Cogeco late Tuesday for formal activation Friday and my packages were in Waterdown by Thursday. Canada post delivered one Thursday then two in Saturday.

· actions · 2020-Oct-13 8:41 am · to Anonf6c4b

Anyone know how to program the harmony remote to be able to use the Google assistant button on this remote? I can’t seem to find a way to do it and tried manually adding the command. Have the rest of the remote buttons working properly with harmony except no way to execute a command to trigger the Google voice assistant button.

· actions · 2020-Oct-13 5:59 pm · A1MB1G to Anonf6c4b
One thing that is really disappointing me with EPICO is the inability to see the video content when fast forwarding a recorded program. I often use that as a way to scan through a recorded show to get to where I want. Without seeing the video it’s all guess work.

Any chance they will continue to develop this platform and add these features in the near future?

· actions · 2020-Oct-15 7:12 pm ·

That would be reason enough to not get it for me. I never watch live tv.

· actions · 2020-Oct-15 8:48 pm ·

A1MB1G

Member

2020-Oct-15 9:51 pm

said by Artwebb1986:

That would be reason enough to not get it for me. I never watch live tv.

I know. I’m really struggling with what to do. Love the high speed internet but preferred the Bell Fibe TV interface and functionality. Unfortunate I’m limited to 50Mbps in Oakville on Bell Fibe. · actions · 2020-Oct-15 9:51 pm · to A1MB1G

You can’t see video when using FF? That makes no sense. Why would it even be that way. I’ll be staying with TiVo.

· actions · 2020-Oct-15 9:58 pm · to A1MB1G
said by A1MB1G:said by Artwebb1986:

That would be reason enough to not get it for me. I never watch live tv.

I know. I’m really struggling with what to do. Love the high speed internet but preferred the Bell Fibe TV interface and functionality. Unfortunate I’m limited to 50Mbps in Oakville on Bell Fibe.Yah that’s rough. I had to move and left my bell ftth 1.5gbit. I was told I could get 50/10 and satellite, No thanks. Condos across the street have FTTH bell so maybe one day we will get the upgrades. The fibe 4k pvr is miles ahead of the tivo 4k.

Sp for now Ill keep my tivo and gigabit.

· actions · 2020-Oct-15 10:57 pm ·

A1MB1G

Member

2020-Oct-15 11:42 pm

said by Artwebb1986:said by A1MB1G:said by Artwebb1986:

That would be reason enough to not get it for me. I never watch live tv.

Sp for now Ill keep my tivo and gigabit.

I really disliked TiVo when I had it. The UI was sluggish and watching anything on mobile devices was torture and many times wouldn’t even work properly. I do like this new EPICO service but there are a few little annoyances like the issue I mentioned if not seeing the video when fast forwarding. That’s a biggy for me so not sure what to do now. · actions · 2020-Oct-15 11:42 pm ·

Well even before you said the no picture when skipping forward in recordings I wasn’t getting it since they told me it’s $40 a month more than tivo for 10 less channels. No thanks lol

· actions · 2020-Oct-16 9:45 am ·

A1MB1G

Member

2020-Oct-16 10:05 am

said by Artwebb1986:

Yeah it’s dumb that they are offering better deals to new customers than their existing. When will companies realize that there’s no client more valuable than the one you already have. It makes no sense.

I think I’m going to stick with Epico and hope they make improvements in the coming months. If after a few months it really starts to annoy me, I may switch back to Tivo but I can’t stomach going back to Bell because of the much lower internet speed. My son plays quite a bit of video games on his Gaming PC and I play on the Xbox, add in my daughter’s Netflix streaming etc and it bogs down pretty quickly.

· actions · 2020-Oct-16 10:05 am · That was for a new customer though.

Yah i’d not go down to 50/10 thats for sure.

· actions · 2020-Oct-16 10:13 am · to A1MB1G

They didn’t tell you? You CAN’T go back to TiVo. Once you switch over, it’s bye-bye to the old service completely. I’ve been warned that every time I enquired about it and it mentions that one of the pages they had up on their site for Epico that can’t be accessed right now. It might be in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

· actions · 2020-Oct-16 10:23 am ·

A1MB1G

Member

2020-Oct-16 10:57 am

said by denben73:

I’m a new customer with Cogeco and signed up directly with Epico. So I’m assuming then what you’re saying is that I would have to pay the cancellation fees and then get a new setup altogether with Tivo? THat makes no sense that they would force people to do that.

I do like the service… the only major issue I see is not being able to see the video content when fast forwarding. The DVR and guide are very modern, easily accessible from all devices etc.

· actions · 2020-Oct-16 10:57 am · to A1MB1G
said by A1MB1G:

have you raised the issue with cogeco? There might be a technical issue or it’s related to the storage being their side not customer side.

· actions · 2020-Oct-16 12:02 pm ·

A1MB1G

Member

2020-Oct-16 1:01 pm

said by marc44ca:

have you raised the issue with cogeco? There might be I could also see another issue. With Tivo you could either skip 30 seconds or fast forward through the ads but you still saw them. If you just get a black screen and don’t see 95% of them that’s going to make broadcasters and advertisers very unhappy.

I can skip ahead 30 seconds too but still don’t see any video when doing so. The video only comes back on after stopping the fast forwarding and when it resumes play. I will bring it up with them. · actions · 2020-Oct-16 1:01 pm ·

Does the set-top box have an optical cable port? Thank you

· actions · 2020-Oct-19 7:51 am · to A1MB1G

Is the Weather Network feed the national HD one or is it local HD version with your local conditions on the left part of the screen?

· actions · 2020-Oct-20 2:23 pm ·